Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Update and draft of book trailer #1


My digital writing project is the creation of two book trailers using Windows Movie Maker. I think the first trailer -- on the book Al Capone Does My Shirts -- is just about finished. My goal was to capture the mood of the book with music and images, and to a lesser extent, text. Just like a movie trailer, my book trailer is designed to give viewers a small taste of the book's setting, characters, and plot, without giving anything away. My 8th graders will make their own book trailers in the 3rd quarter, and I wanted to make some models to show them.


I found Windows Movie Maker somewhat limiting, and if I had access to iMovie, I'd like to try that, too. Ideally I would have two sound tracks, one for music and one for voice/narration, but Windows Movie Maker doesn't allow that, so I had to choose-- and I chose music. I think that in my first trailer, I played around with just about every feature that the program offers, and I enjoyed experimenting. I found that the photo images I gleaned from Google images worked well with this book -- since it's historical fiction.


For my second book trailer, I'm planning on doing Make Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Woolf. It's a completely different genre, setting, and mood --


Here's the first trailer. If anybody has suggestions -- especially if you've used Windows Movie Maker, please let me know.


Whoops, I can't quite figure it out how to insert the movie here right now. . . Maybe I'll try tomorrow (or ask for help in class?) Instead, I'm inserting an image from the movie.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. I liked Al Capone Does my Shirts. What about using Photo Story? I find it to be easier than the movie programs. It has a different end result, but you could do one movie maker and one photo story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of making video book trailers takes literary response to a whole new level. I very much look forward to seeing your final product AND hearing from you how it works with your students ... I bet that they will love it!!

    ReplyDelete