Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Let's Pretend

Just last week, the 8th grade team at South View participated in an Ellis Island simulation for several hours one afternoon. Each student developed an identity for themselves and created their own documentation in order to be admitted to "New York." We teachers played the background checkers, health officials, and other immigration personnel. We dressed in costumes (I wore a tie and mustache!) and enjoyed the opportunity to be interrogate our students and even deport some of them. It was our first year with this simulation, and though we still have some kinks to work out, it was a beneficial and enjoyable time for everyone, I think.

Last week's simulation was a one day simulation, and in the future, I think it would be great if we could extend the whole experience. When I taught language arts in Wilmette, Illinois many years ago, we did a lot of simulations, most of them published by Interact http://www.interact-simulations.com/. We did the election of 1912 (both years I was involved, Eugene Debs the Communist won the election) and the passing of the Dawes Act. From my limited experience with these simulations, I would recommend them highly for the way they help history come alive for students and promote critical thinking.

I think the online role playing has definite potential for my classroom, and I would love to combine online role play with a face to face real time simulation, if I could think of a way. I like the "playtime" aspect of this project, and I think students would, too. On the down side, if I had several online simulations going on at once, it would be a lot for me to oversee.

My Ning page is here:http://edinaroleplay.ning.com/profile/TheresaBademan

2 comments:

  1. Tess,
    It sounds like you have done quite a bit with role playing. I think that middle school students must love doing the role playing. I will have to check out the site you mentioned to see if I can get any ideas for my biology class,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you bring history alive in your classroom. Much more interesting than reading a book.

    ReplyDelete