I chose the identity of a humanties professor, and I struggled with the way I presented Dr. Charlotte Hodges. It would have been easy to make her a sterotypical, curmudgeonly professor who despised the way digital literacy had shaped her students and the culture, but I didn't want to make her a one-dimensional character. So I tried to present Dr. Hodges as somewhat stodgy and traditional but also reflective and genuinely interested in what helps students learn. In retrospect, I would probably have had more fun with the character if I had made her more sterotypical, because I had a hard time keeping her point of view consistent --and interesting!
I am personally less stodgy than Dr. Hodges -- or at least I like to think so. . . I don't think Dr. Hodges would be participating in a laptop pilot! Yet I think I share her love of traditional literature. I was impressed with the quality of thinking in all of the responses and postings that I read. It's too soon to say how my opinions on the topic of digital literacy have changed; I think I am resisting closure on that question, until I have thought and read some more. . . .
I can imagine using an online role play with my students when we read the novel Touching Spirit Bear. In this novel, the main character Cole participates in a controversial justice program called circle justice, instead of going to jail for a violent crime he has committed. I can imagine doing a role play centered around the question "Should Cole go to jail or participate in circle justice?" and assigning students roles to play. I could use the role play as a springboard into the editorial assignment that students write. I like the idea of having a culminating writing assignment or in class activity to complete the role play.
Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dear Dr. Charlotte Hodges,
ReplyDeleteI found you to be a complex and interesting character. Your thoughtful responses to other posts reflected the conflicting and intricate connections adults are making in navigating the digital world. Your character was authentic.
Dr. Liam Mulvehill
Tess,
Your plans to complete the role play sound like the kids will really get engaged. It will be interesting to see what information from the role play the kids use in the editorial assignment. Looking forward to hearing how it engages them but also how you manage and follow all the discussions.
Thanks, Mary